Monday 19 July 2010

Diane Hoh - The Invitation

Okay! Off I kick with my first look at a Diane Hoh, one of the Point Horror stalwarts. I have read some of hers before, but I am pretty sure that this one, “The Invitation”, I have never read before. I know of at least one other, but in an attempt at suspense, I am not going to tell you what that one is! Take a guess?

At least in initial concept, “The Invitation” is rather a like the classic horror movie, “House On Haunted Hill” (1959). It is probably like the 1999 remake as well, but unless I am a glutton for punishment on that particular day, I tend to stay well clear of classic remakes.


The party to which the invitations refer, is held by Cass Rockham, a rich attendee at Greenhaven High. Cass comes across as a nasty piece of work, with probably far too much power than is good for her. She can have staff fired! Presumably, no solicitors exist in Greenhaven nor unions! In typical “Point Horror” fashion, the parents are out the country and Cass and her pals are left to party in peace with caterer's who “know better than to show up with trays of quiche or pate or watercress sandwiches”. Man, I guess Cass has them already whipped into line!

Cass also has “cool parents” who don't believe in acting as chaperone to teen parties. Although between you and me, I think after this party, they're gonna rethink this position!

The similarity betwee the film I mention and this book, is that the host invites people along to a party to play nasty games with them. “House On Haunted Hill” is a bit more macabre, whereas in “The Invitation” we settle for Shane, Ellie, Sarah, Donald and Maggie (and a partridge in a pear tree!) being locked up in a game of hide and seek with a twist. The piece de resistance is that someone is playing a game with the hostess' game. Initially, you think it is all Cass' game but soon enough it becomes clear that the game has gone wrong.

Okay, it's not truly terrifying, unless you are claustrophobic or you are being locked in a room being forced to listen to Michael Bolton, but have you ever wondered why YOU were invited somewhere by someone who doesn't like you? Wouldn't it be a mind boggler? A real what the blazes are they up to? I think we probably have all experienced humiliation along these lines somewhere. Being set up to be the butt of the joke.

Along with the “what's going on?” scenario at Cass Rockham's party, there is also the secondary plot line over Shane and her past in Rockport. I have to admit that Shane stealing a ring from a jewellers' was bit of a let down. I was expecting something a bit more racy. After all, Point Horrors are about horror! But, given Shane is supposed to be on the “good side” anything too criminal would probably have turned us against her. We are not supposed to side with a murderer.

The usual clever plot twists carry the story along and keeping interest. I actually dared to formulate a hypothesis as to what was going on. And was wrong! I actually thought it was George the chauffeur, taking revenge on the rich Rockhams for mistreating him. After all, he was given the night off and could have easily crept back in. However, the culprit is not actually one of the party and is Shane's former friend Lynn from Rockport with a grudge.

Kind of like the whole “Who Shot JR?” mystery. It wasn't actually anybody you knew about! A simple device and keeps wannabe clever clogs like me from guessing the ending! Although, Shane's ex friend Lynn from Rockport was a second guess – honestly!

In Riley, we have an anti-Cass. He is also the love interest for Sarah. Two familiar concepts therefore are in this book, the rich bitch and the school hunk. But as ever, this adds a bit of light relief and means Cass has a challenge to her evil plans.

Usually I can feel some sort of pity for the “bad guys” in Point Horrors or at least understand the motive, but Cass just seems an evil cow. Too much power and too big an opinion of herself if you ask me! Even if her crowd is a bit snobby, it is clear right at the beginning of the party that there is dissent in the Rockham Massive ranks. People are disgusted by Cass' idea, so I think Cass has lost the plot big time. Crazy Cass!

I actually enjoyed this “Point Horror” for it's storyline. Much more than “Mother's Helper” and “Beach Party”. Will I remember this one by the time I have done reviewing every single “Point Horror”? I don't know yet, but I think I might!

No comments:

Post a Comment